Saturday, December 4, 2010

No Business Like Show Business

I have officially become involved with the movie business. 

I know that many of you have found yourselves seething with jealousy. I would've too, before I got involved. It all seems very glamorous from the outside. 

Here is what I've been doing as a production assistant (fancy title right?) for the past 2 days:

Making Coffee
Setting cold food out on a table and trying to keep it cold.
Setting hot food out on a table and trying to keep it hot.
Sitting
Making Coffee

We were parked on location (that's movie business talk for a Public Storage parking lot) and from the RV served food and coffee. Sometimes (not often mind you) we are called upon to move something, otherwise though, my days have been spent killing time until someone wants to eat. 
Yesterday I had a bit of a thrill when the Public Storage employee came over to see what we were up to. I thought there might be some drama and intrigue, I thought we might have to fight her and lock her in the RV bathroom so we could stay parked there. 
I forgot though that I am involved in the most glamorous thing possible. After informing her that we were set up to cater for the movie that was being filmed only feet away, her eyes lit up and she immediately wanted to be BFFs with us. She told us to let her know if we needed anything. 

Damn, that had great potential for some time-killing drama.

Today was a long one. I gave a little too much attention to a bottle of Jameson last night and far too little attention to my bed, so the incessant waiting and lack of drama got to me. I had no other choice and had to start picking fights with the boyfriend. 

When the cast and crew finally came to see us (they were there for the food and coffee but it makes me feel important to say they were there for a visit) the boyfriend and I couldn't stop spewing sarcasm at each other and some of it splashed onto them. They may come to visit even less frequently now, or maybe they'll come more often, with chairs and popcorn.

The film shoot is set to span three more weekends, Friday through Sunday. I have let some subtle hints out toward the director that I wouldn't mind filling in for any actors that fall through. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that. 

 


Stay tuned as I Zia Sophia take on the open road, and now the movie business too.

1 comment:

  1. Just make sure to remember all the little people you stepped on to make it to the top. Laughing imperiously at them is much more fun if you can name them specifically.

    ReplyDelete